Summer is beginning in the Northern Hemisphere, and it’s getting a little warm outside for a hot cup of tea. So let’s take a look at all sorts of chilly and delicious drinks perfect for your teatime!
From traditional lemonade to more unusual drinks like boba milk tea, we’ve got a host of cold summer drinks to tease your tastebuds and welcome you into the hot days of summer!
- Cold-brew hibiscus tea: All you’ll need for this tart and refreshing summer drink in a traditional Jamaican style are hibiscus flowers or tea, a cinnamon stick, and sugar to taste. You’ll need to let it sit overnight, then enjoy! Recipe from the Hispanic Kitchen.
- Strawberry apple homemade iced tea: For a naturally sweet variation on traditional iced tea, check out this recipe from Natural Green Mom.
- Easy Thai iced tea: This delicious treat does require Thai tea powder, but once you have some, it’s an easy drink to whip up and it’ll add an international twist to your teatime! Just follow the recipe from White on Rice Couple.
- Peach iced tea: This sweet drink from the Minimalist Baker is a great summer staple.
- Boba milk tea: This fun drink can be made with or without chewy tapioca pearls, depending on your family’s preference. It’s easy to customize with your favorite type of tea, using these directions from White on Rice Couple.
Smoothies and Frozen Drinks
- Pineapple banana orange smoothie: This classic fruit smoothie is a sweet and refreshing drink for summer, sure to be a hit with kids! Recipe from Gimme Some Oven.
- Fresh fruit slushies: These directions from Real Healthy Kids will help you make delicious frozen slushies from whatever fruit you have on hand!
- Triple berry freeze: Sorbet, frozen berries, honey, and a bit of sparkling water make this a great summer cooler for the family! Follow these steps from My Recipes.
- Frosted lemonade: While this isn’t the healthiest summer drink, the combination of ice cream blended with lemon juice is addictive and perfect for a hot summer day! Recipe from Delish.
- Banana-peach shake: Add frozen yogurt to fruit and get this delicious drink from My Recipes.
Fruit Juice, Punch, and More!
- Watermelon punch: This recipe from Martha Stewart only calls for two ingredients: a watermelon and seltzer. Enjoy this delicious treat in a hollowed-out watermelon!
- Old-fashioned lemonade: What summer teatime is complete without some lemonade? Get the whole family involved to squeeze out every drop of juice from these lemons in the Tablespoon’s recipe. You can also make pink lemonade here from the Cooking Bride.
- Red, white, and blue punch: Watch the layers form on top of crushed ice in this three-layered drink from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe. Read to the end of the recipe to learn about the different sugar contents and how that affects the layers!
- Cherry limeade: This tart and sweet drink is a great twist on traditional summer refreshers. Check out the recipe from Wine and Glue!
As you dive into the wonderful world of summer drinks, remember that creativity can be just as fun as following a recipe!
Set up a “create-your-own-drink” station and have your kids pick their favorite ingredients. Try these options:
- Fresh fruit
- Fruit juices like cranberry, apple, orange, and lemonade
- Carbonated drinks (especially sprite and sparkling water)
- Fresh herbs like basil, mint, rosemary, and thyme
- Frozen elements like ice cubes or sorbet, frozen yogurt, or ice cream
They can combine these ingredients however they want for a delicious and creative drink!
Once everyone has created a drink they love, have a tasting! Make sure everyone comes up with a special name for their drink, too.
Stay cool in the summer with delicious drinks, and check out our frozen treats for summer to give you more ideas of what to serve during a teatime on a hot summer day!